The Galgóczi Erzsébet City Library of Gyõr is a public library authorized with a function of general collection. Its operation is to satisfy the information and edification demands of the citizens. This library maintains access to documents, data and information collected by and available within its institution. Its programmes allow it to be a crucial venue for spending leisure time usefully and for having an adequate community life as well. Its range of services is available and open for everyone.
Our library supports the following in order to complete its mission:
- To collect data and information required for the appropriate exercise of the citizens’ rights and to augment democracy and equal opportunities in this manner;
- To provide information in the realms of economy, society, sciences, and culture;
- To maintain education and lifelong learning (self-education, trainings, revocationalization, etc.);
- To educate children and youngsters into readers and to encourage them in cooperation with the teachers and families to fancy reading;
- To conduct research on and present the cultural, historical, and ethnographical traditions, as well as the economical and social processes of the city of Gyõr;
- To propel the library use of the socially disadvantaged and the disabled;
- To provide opportunities for spending leisure time usefully and in a cultured manner and to promote the operation of small communities.
Our library endeavours the following in order to implement the objectives above:
- To develop, recover, preserve, and manage its collection, and to maintain it available for the public;
- To provide information concerning the documents and services of the library and the public library system; and to intermediate them
- To maintain its services and collection according to the users’ demands and to complete frequent surveys accordingly;
- To preserve, investigate, and communicate the environmental, intellectual, and artistic values of the city of Gyõr toward its citizens;
- To devote increased attention to the maintenance of the access to documents and information remotely available;
- To assist the wide distribution of digital literacy through its eCouncil function;
- To conduct dissemination and to expand and revivify the cultural life of the city of Gyõr by events organized within its institution;
- To call general attention to the cultural events of the city of Gyõr through the library’s Internet journal titled "Gyõri Szalon" and to popularize the programmes of the city of Gyõr through the Internet;
- To contribute to spending its visitors’ leisure time in a cultured manner and to expand their level of education;
- To encourage its library personnel to perform their responsibilities at all times in the best quality possible in full conformity with the so-called Ethical Codex of the Hungarian Libraries.