The collection of the Children’s Library
The responsibility of the Children’s Library of the Galgóczi Erzsébet City Library is to call the attention of the children under 14 to reading, and to provide a proper selection of books with them, and to assist their school progress, and to provide further opportunities with them to spend their leisure time usefully.
According to the aforesaid, the collection of the Children’s Library can be characterized as versatile: in addition to adventurous and entertaining reading materials, a large number of educational books are available at the library. The main objective of this is to assure a satisfactory selection for children with various interests and to supply them with books for their hobbies.
The long term objective of the Children’s Library is to convince its current children readers to cherish library use and reading as their educational and entertainment source in their adulthood. The library intends to achieve this objective by the development of the proper collection, the recommendation of reading materials that suit the children’s ages and personalities, and a wide range of attractive programmes.
Where is the Chidren’s Library?
The Children’s Library is located on the ground floor of the Central Library (H-9023 Győr, Herman Ottó u. 22.), which can be accessed from Szigethy Attila Street.
|Monday||10 - 18|
|Wednesday||10 - 18|
|Thursday||10 - 18|
|Friday||10 - 18|
|Saturday||9 - 12
CLOSED between 15 June and 15 August
Opening hours of the Children’s Library in school holidays: from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm instead of 10.00 am to 6.00 pm!
What is in the Children’s Library?
The number of the books in the collection of the Childen’s Library was 23547 in 2013.
The document categories of the collection are the following
- Periodicals (e.g.: journals for children, school almanacs, etc.)
Classes of the collection by themes
- Folding albums, picture books
- Poems for children
- Fairy tales and fairy tale books
- Educational books (and informative volumes for the little ones) (selections)
- Youth literature (adventure, historical, biographical, animal, children’s world, science fiction, for girls)
- Mandatory and recommended literature
- Selection of adult literature (carefully selected)
- Programme compilations, thematic poetry collections
- Manuals (encyclopaedias, databases, dictionaries, recapitulating books on particular subjects, carefully selected picture albums)
- Books on the city of Győr (carefully selected)
- Study books required for the teaching of book and library use (selected)
- Ancillary books for work at the Children’s Library (selected)
Foreign language books are separately stored on the book-shelves of our Children’s Library. These books vary in themes, thus they can be the proper means of language learning.
Journals and periodicals subscribed for 2013 at the Children’s Library
- Breki Magazin
- Buci Maci
- Csodaceruza (Az NKA* támogatásával.)
- Dörmögő Dömötör
- Garfield Magazin
- Geronimo Stilton
- Lájk (korábbi címe: Oké)
- National Geographic Kids Magyar
- Tappancs Elsősöknek
- Tappancs Másodikosoknak
- Természetbúvár (Az NKA* támogatásával.)
- Tücsök (Az NKA* támogatásával.)
Use of the Children’s Library
Readers/users, who are interested in children’s literature and the collection of the library, are allowed to request for the services of the Children’s Library irrespective of their age. Children under 16 are allowed to use the Children’s Library free of charge. Other cost free options defined during registration are valid in this case as well! In addition, registration is valid to the entire library network in this case as well. Readers, who have already registered at any of the Departments of the Galgóczi Erzsébet City Library, might be the free users of the Children’s Library as well.